Community Bonding Period

Through this post, I would be sharing my learning experience of the community bonding period. which was from 17th May 2021 to 6th June 2021. This is the list of what I did during the bonding period:

  • Learning by communicating with mentors and community members and signing the Student-Mentor Agreement

  • Setting up the environment, to begin with, the coding session.

  • Completing my Payoneer registration


Learning by communicating with mentors and community members
After the results were out for GSoC’21, I was invited by my organization, NRNB, to join the team. There I came to know about my fellow participants and other mentors of the organization. The Student-Mentor agreement was an overview of the availability of the mentor and the student. This makes the student prepared for the future and schedule the events for the smooth running of the program.


Setting up the environment, to begin with the coding session

The appropriate version of JDK and Maven should be jdk8.251 and maven 3.6.1 respectively and then accordingly the environmental variables should be changed. The version of eclipse compatible with jdk8.251 is Eclipse 2019-06 (4.12.0). 


Clone VCell and ImageJ from their respective Github repositories and while creating the workspace for the eclipse, choose the VCell folder as the desired location. Now when you are ready after setting up the environment import VCell and ImageJ as Maven Project and then create debug configurations. Through these configurations, you can run VCell and ImageJ through eclipse. To start off with plugins, we need to clone a minimal project and add it to the path and view the desired results.


Completing my Payoneer registration
For registering yourself for a stipend for the program you have to make an account over Payoneer (a special link is generated for registration for GSoC students). Everything was running smoothly but for the account verification, I needed a Government-Approved Photo ID card. The options available to upload as proofs were only PAN Card and Pass-Port (unfortunately I had none), so I requested Payoneer support to accept my driving license as a photo ID card. (meanwhile, I had also applied for my PAN Card). 

A small tip for upcoming student developers: 

  • If you are short of any Government-Approved Photo ID card, apply for it as soon as possible as they will be helpful to you always. 

  • On attaining the age of 18, do have a bank account for yourself. 


So from Tomorrow, 7th June 2021, I will be beginning my coding period and will keep on sharing my experience.


-Nikita Mahoviya


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Evaluation

Coding Period: Week 10

A Great Summer Ahead: GSoC'21 @ NRNB